Re: [gtk-list] PROPOSAL : Progress bar

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Stefan Jeske wrote:

> I'm just working on making the progress bar more flexible, and would like
> to hear some of your comments.

  I'd like to see an "open-ended" progress indicator, which could be used
to show activity when an application is processing data, but the exact
amount of data is unknown.  I'm going to run into this problem soon in an
application I'm writing.  I want to show the progress of a file read, but
I'm not sure what to do if the user specifies stdin.

  The progress bar at the bottom of Netscape's browser window shows a good
example of this. It shows a normal progress indicator if the size of a
page or image is known.  If the page length is unknown (which seems to be
the case with CGI output), it draws a square and bounces it from one end
of the progress bar to the other.  MacOS has something similar, but it
draws an animated diagonally-striped barber-pole-esque thing.

 ***** *****  Gerald Combs                  gerald@unicom.net
  ***   ***   Mouse cleaning czar           http://www.unicom.net
   *     *    Unicom Communications, Inc.   (913)327-5309
    *****     7223 W. 95th St., Ste 325     (913)327-5376 Fax
     ***      Overland Park, KS 66212       (913)327-5375 Client Support
      *