Re: [gtk-list] Focus problem causing "clumsy" feeling...

> Hi Everyone !
>
> Some might remember I reported this once before but wasn't sure about
> the cause for it... I am still unclear WHY this happens, but I'd like
> to find out.
>
> On any Window Manager with "focus-follows-mouse" policy (happened on
> several Linux & Solaris systems with different window managers - of
> course that can't prove it happens on EVERY one, but it is strongly
> indicative) you need to click on a GTK+ window, then move the mouse
> out of the current widget and then reenter it to get focus on that
> window. If you don't know about this you can click like crazy without
> anything happening.
>
> This causes a very "clumsy" feeling that gives the whole thing the
> "mark of the amateur" (feel-wise) and so I think we should find the
> reason and fix it.
>
> I'd like to know whether anyone else uses "focus-follows-mouse" and
> experienced similar problems... or does everyone else use
> "click-to-focus" ??? Which system, X server and window manager you are
> using would be a helpful bit of information as well (if you use
> focus-follows-mouse without these effects especially).

This is one of the brilliant (IMHO) features of the kde window manager.
It combines focus-follows-mouse with giving focus to every window that
pops up, regardless if the mouse is positioned in that window.

This makes it possible to use any sane application completely via the
keyboard.

This also greatly reduces the strain in your arm and shoulder, because
you don't have to move the mouse every time some stupid program pops up
a dialog (netscape comes to mind).

I don't know of any other windowmanager that has this functionality, and
I have tried quite a few ...

Marc.

Marc van Kempen                 BowTie Technology
Email: marc@bowtie.nl            WWW & Databases
tel. +31 40 2 43 20 65
fax. +31 40 2 44 21 86         http://www.bowtie.nl