Xlogmaster V1.2 & fileselector...

Hi Everyone !

Just for your information:

The GTK+ based Xlogmaster V1.2 (main new feature is a filter that
allows to highlight/lowlight/hide lines) is released and can be
downloaded from

	http://porter.desy.de/~greve/xlogmaster/
		or
	http://www.fusebox.hanse.de/xlogmaster/

This toll should prove extremely useful for all people who need to
keep track of a bigger number of logfiles and/or devices.

Now for the fileselector stuff:
I noticed that some machines tend to freeze up totally when the
fileselector is being called. This only seems to happen when the
default filename/path is set explicitly (which should be kinda
standard) on machines with automouting filesystems or NFS.

The way I figure it out is that the fileselector probably looks at each
directory from the highest one and triggers the automounting
stuff. This can take pretty long on some machines (especially the ones
one of my friends works on because it has about 100-200 automounting
NFS partitions). Also people who set up their CDROM automouting (like
I did) experience those problems because the disk needs to spin up and
this takes time. Until everything has been mounted the whole thing
will totally freeze up.... I think this is not satisfactory.

I noticed that the function being called is "getwd" and the Solaris
manpage for this command claims that it should never be used it
multi-threaded applications like X11 ones (although the Linux manpage
doesn't). I don't know whether that's outdated or whether this bit of
information just got lost on the way, but since it seems there will be
some work done on the fileselector I  figured we could make the whole
thing behave nicer, as well.

Later,
	Georg

- --
Georg C. F. Greve <greve@fusebox.hanse.de>
http://porter.desy.de/~greve/ - ICQ#10016966
"People who fight may lose. People who do not
fight have already lost." -- Bertolt Brecht