Re: Problem with Gtk+-1.0.4 (actually running testgtk) on RH Linux

Stephen Tell <tell@cs.unc.edu> writes:

> I've just tried compiling gtk+-1.0.4 on linux.
>
> I did:
> $ gmake distclean
> $ CC=gcc ./configure --with-locale=C \
> 	--prefix=/usr/local/contrib/moderated/common \
> 	--exec-prefix=/usr/local/contrib/moderated
> $ gmake
>
> Things looked OK, so like I always do, I tried to run testgtk before
> installing:
>
> $ cd gtk
> $ ./testgtk
>
> ** WARNING **: rc file parse error: "testgtkrc" line 14
> testgtk: can't resolve symbol 'gtk_container_set_focus_vadjustment'

[...]

> Note: I had previously installed gtk-1.0.0 on these system.  Compiling the
> new 1.0.4 testgtk.c with the old 1.0.0 gtk-config and gtk libraries fails
> with link errors, including:
>
>  testgtk.o(.text+0x7b9c): undefined reference to `gtk_container_set_focus_vadjustment'
>
> Could the libtool-based test wrapper scripts have a version-mixing problem
> with the newly-compiled library and the installed one? (on linux only?)
> I really don't want to do a make install without testing things.

Your problem is that on linux LD_LIBRARY_PATH is searched _after_ the
default path. There is absolutely nothing that GTK or libtool can do
about this - testing a program dynamically linked against uninstalled
libraries when installed libraries with the same major are in the
default directories is impossible.

(To test, you can compile once with --disable-shared first, or you
 can, if nobody else is using them, temporarily move the 1.0 libraries
 out of the way. I wish I knew a better solution.)

Regards,
                                        Owen