Problem with Gtk+-1.0.4 (actually running testgtk) on RH Linux

I've just tried compiling gtk+-1.0.4 on linux.

I did:
$ gmake distclean
$ CC=gcc ./configure --with-locale=C \
	--prefix=/usr/local/contrib/moderated/common \
	--exec-prefix=/usr/local/contrib/moderated
$ gmake

Things looked OK, so like I always do, I tried to run testgtk before
installing:

$ cd gtk
$ ./testgtk

** WARNING **: rc file parse error: "testgtkrc" line 14
testgtk: can't resolve symbol 'gtk_container_set_focus_vadjustment'

the test programs simple, testinput, and testselection all work fine when
run the same way.

The system is a pentium pro, with Linux based on RedHat 4.0 with most rpms
upgraded to nearly 4.2.  In particular:

kernel is 2.0.23
libc-5.3.12-17
binutils-2.7.0.2-4
gcc-2.7.2-9
ld.so-1.7.14-4

Note: I had previously installed gtk-1.0.0 on these system.  Compiling the
new 1.0.4 testgtk.c with the old 1.0.0 gtk-config and gtk libraries fails
with link errors, including:

 testgtk.o(.text+0x7b9c): undefined reference to `gtk_container_set_focus_vadjustment'

Could the libtool-based test wrapper scripts have a version-mixing problem
with the newly-compiled library and the installed one? (on linux only?)
I really don't want to do a make install without testing things.

I had complete success compiling, testing, installing, and linking other
code on HP-UX B.10.20 with the same "configure" flags.  Then I immediately
did the "make distclean" and tried building for linux.   The HPs also had
gtk+-1.0.0 installed previously.

Note: after doing the final make install, I always try building somthing
that uses GTK to make sure the libraries are in right - I use a copy of
testgtk and the other test programs, and a trivial makefile that uses
gtk-config to get the compiling and linking flags.

My ultimate goal in this whole excercise is to try compiling Gnome for
HP-UX SunOS/Solaris, and perhaps SGI.

Thanks!
steve