[gtk-list] Re: missing some features in gtk_clist

Stefan Jeske wrote:

> Hi Daniel !
>
> On 16-Jun-98 Daniel Adler wrote:
> > The problem is, that i'm writing a file manager like the good old
> > DirOpus
> > on Amiga, and the browser display should be only a list, especially for
> > those
> > that are working all the time with mc.
> > I haven't seen ctree yet. But the name sounds for me, that it is a tree
> > out of columns. What does it do exactly ?
>
> Sounds like you are not using the 1.1 CVS developer version... then
> of course you can't have heard of ctree yet. ;)
> It is derived from clist with one special column, the "tree column".
> It is very similar to Netscape's "Edit Bookmarks" window.
>
> >> We implemented the Extended Selection Mode (exactly what you want).
> >
> > I started to implement in a personal patch of gtkclist a
> > GTK_SELECTION_MULTIDRAG,
> > should i change it to GTK_SELECTION_EXTENDED (i thought it should be
> > hold free
> > for very custom use) ?!
>
> No, GTK_SELECTION_EXTENDED just hasn't been implemented yet. This mode
> also exists in Motif and Tk (with variations).

So do you implement this feature in ctree ? If yes, also in clist ?
Because I will only need the clist , not the ctree.
And is the right definition of SELECTION_EXTENDED : "Drag a whole block
of
rows as selection, and autoscroll the list up/down (and left/right),
if i leave the clist with my pointer" ? (so that's my interpretation of
this useful feature)

> >> Popups don't belong into clist, you can code them externally using the
> >> "select_row" signal. If you want dragging, you could do something like
> >> we did in ctree.
> >
> > You mean, checking for the button that is pressed ? the problem is for
> > me
> > (as a novice in gtk) to tell clist NOT to toggle the row, when e.g.
> > button 2
> > is pressed. I think every clist should be given a button_mask to tell,
> > what
> > button is the "selection_button".
>
> Since the "select_row" signal toggles the row immediately (you can only
> connect after), you should connect to the "button_press" signal, and,
> if event->button == 2, insert your own code and stop the signal to prevent
> the toggle. "return TRUE" should be enough, I think.

Yes, thanks - but "return TRUE" wasn't enough, I had to stop the signal.
What exactly tells the return-code of a event. Is it to tell of blocking
GdkEvent ?

Well I've got another problem right now at the same point.
I want to compare also the mouse-clicks to specific a preconfigured
action.
The problem is before i get a double-click event, i get TWO one-click
events.
I tried to change the
GdkWindow of clist with a GDK_BUTTON1_MOTION_MASK , but i got no
solution up to now :(

> > no, i tried, but i haven't got an access to the cvs-tree, is there some
> > other
> > place where i can get the hole development of gtk ? or can i get access
> > to it ?
>
> I only use (non-anonymous) CVS, but there may be someone doing snapshots of
> the developer branch. Don't know who, however...

I did it over anonymous CVS. :(

--
so long,
plex