Re: [gtk-list] Proposal: ( was Re: spinbuttons more flexible look-wise? )

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Steve Hosgood wrote:

> So what I thought was: why not rewrite GtkSpinbutton so that it is just
> a special case of a more generic widget (called "GtkSpinner", say). All
> the work of being a spin-button is done by GtkSpinner, and all that
> GtkSpinbutton now does is to pack the three visible parts of a GtkSpinner
> in the familiar "Entry-box followed by two little buttons" formation that
> we know and love. All its other functions come from GtkSpinner. The change
> should be completely invisible to a user of GtkSpinbutton.

Just one point: some GUIs use a diagonally-split spinner, something
(vaguely) like this:

	   +--------------+
	   +  /|\        /+

That isn't feasible with Gtk's packing (as the components aren't
rectangular.) You really need a single widget.

Not a recommendation, just an observation.