updating pixmaps

I am attempting to write a simple game to teach myself GTK+.  What I have is
basically an array of pixmaps inside of a fixed widget for display and so I
can catch mouse presses on the pixmaps.  The problem is that when I update
the pixmaps on the widgets other than the one that was pressed using
gtk_pixmap_set(), it overwrites the old image without clearing it first.
However, if I iconify the window and bring it back up, it correctly redraws
the updated pixmap.  Can somone tell me what I am doing wrong here?

me