order of widget function calls

I too ran into the problem of adding lines to a text widget before realizing
it.

It would be convenient with, for each widget or set of widgets, an entry in
the FAQ/reference/tutorial that illustrated the correct order of function
calls when initializing and displaying the specific widget.

If this has already been done (I couldn't find much about it in the GTK
reference, FAQ or tutorial), please tell me where it can be found.

Oskar Liljeblad (osk@hem.passagen.se)