Re: [gtk-list] loading pixmap from file slow

>  I am learning GTK+ and writing my first program with it.  I am finding
>  that loading a pixmap from a file is intolerably slow.

You should use gdk_imlib if you intend to use a lot of pixmaps or if
well, like being able to rescale/dither/crop images.

>  Let me also say that GTK+, though underdocumented in many areas, has
>  performed flawlessly up to this point.  The beautiful design and
>  extensive widget set make it a joy to program.  The only thing I miss
>  from other toolkits I've used is Tk's structured graphics Canvas.

I am working on a clone of Tk's canvas widget for Gnome; it will be
the GnomeCanvas widget.  It is on the cvs repository right now for
those who are brave enough to test it.  Beware that it is a work in
progress.

  Federico