Re: [gtk-list] Motif -> GTK

Andreas Tille wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to port a little application from Motif to GTK+.
> I havn't any idea about Motif programming and the meaning of
> the used functions and types.  I'm a pure GTK+ beginner, too,
> in fact I want to learn GTK+ programming while porting the
> application.
>
> So is there any kind of translation tool which replaces some
> Motif specific strings to GTK+ (if this question makes no
> sense you can see how pure my knowledge is ...) or are there
> any hints/faqs in terms of porting software to GTK+

 Alas, not really. Motif uses Xt for the basis of it's widget set. So,
really, you have to go through the code, elminating any calls to Xt* and
Xm*

 Most of the widgets in motif 1.2.x are in GTK, so it shouldn't be too
difficult, but bear in mind that the way Motif creates and maps widgets are
radically different.

Kate

--
 "I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star.
    We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light."

John "Kate" Looney, Horizon Open Systems. Sun Microsystems distributor and
Support centre. Hotline: [+353 1 8055700] Web http://www.hos.horizon.ie/