Re: loading pixmap from file slow

Hi,

[Code example snipped]

> Some seconds elapse between one and two.  window is a normal toplevel
> GtkWindow (made global for this example).  I don't see any reason to
> think I'm doing something unusual that would cause this.  The image loads
> just fine (and quickly) in GIMP and xv.  I haven't looked at the gdk code
> (I'd have to download it over a slow link), but I will if I don't hear an
> answer.

I suspect this is because there's a call to gdk_color_alloc for each pixel
in the xpm. The xpm loader should probably be rewritten to use a color context
instead. As I'm guilty of writing the original slow version, I guess
I'll have to take a hack at it soon; it shouldn't be too hard. If you're in
a hurry I guess you'll have to take a look at imlib.

[GTK praise snipped]

> The only thing I miss from other toolkits I've used is Tk's structured
> graphics Canvas.

IIRC, Quartic is working on such a widget for the GNOME project. I dont know
if this will be included in gtk+.

Regards,
Tom

--