Newby question

Is it possible to set up widgets in positions specified by arbitrary
numeric coordinates, without packing them in vboxes or hboxes??

How do I gow about doing it?

For a first gtk project, I was trying to port a game I wrote using the
xforms library, and it just seems way too complicated to set up a
bunch of boxes to pack controls into to get the desired results.

Is there a tool like fdesign from xforms to make laying out a program
easy?

And finally, there's a bug somewhere.  If I run the testgtk program,
and run the shapes demo, then move each of the three icons, and quit
the demo by pressing the shapes button again, my X server dies with a
signal 11.   Is this a bug in my X server, or in gtk??  What do I need
to do to get more information about the problem?

Thanks for your help!

-davec