Re: [gtk-list] Glade/Gtk-- design proposals (longish)

Christof Petig <christof.petig@wtal.de> writes:

> Yesterday I told Damon, that I can't wait to see glade output a source
> file. I offered doing the gtk-- wrapper for glade.

Well..  If there were some sort of API in Glade to traverse the
widget structure as it exists in memory you could write it as a plugin.
Of course someone would have to write a plugin API for Glade, but this
would let you write your interpretter module completely in c++, and merely
referencing the c plugin API.  This avoids code duplication (no need to use
the XML code); the code is completely independent; changes in the module don't
effect Glade (as long as the API is sound); you can write the module in
your favorite language (c++, perl, python, lisp, etc..) as long as you can
get a binding to the plugin API.  There's a lot of nice tools to help make
these bindings possible too.

Actually there's some other interesting possibilities for using
plugins other than as "code writers", too...

Just a few thoughts..

James Dean Palmer