Re: [gtk-list] Re: My experiences with GTK - what I would like changed...

On 2 Jun 1998, GTK.Mailinglist.account wrote:

> You can either click on it about 20 times or click on it, move the
> mouse a bit and then you can select it. I have heard from amost
> everyone else that they made the same experiences on their system (all
> Linux systems with fvwm2).

If you can provide a .fvwm2rc and detailed instructions for reproducing
it, perhaps people will look into it...

> Well - I am only used to XVIEW... there it is strictly forbidden to
> directly use the system-layered signal handlers. They say that since the
> X client-server communication has some timing-critical moments an
> interrupt in the program at the wrong moment could disrupt it and have
> bad consequences. If the toolkit does the distribution it can be sure
> nothing happens at the wrong moment.  Personally I think the reasoning
> makes some sense, so I asked myself whether this signal handling will be
> implemented in the near future.

The reasoning is Big BS. X is a networked display protocol, and since it
runs over the network, everything is set up to be able to wait for the
network to get the data there & back.

> On the other hand: Has anyone made any experiences (positive or
> negative) with using the handlers directly ? I'd ne kinda interested to
> hear about it...

Every gtk program that sets signal handlers does it directly. Just go do
it and feel good about it :-)

-- Elliot
When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather...
	...not yelling and screaming like the people in the back of the
	   plane he was flying.