Re: [gtk-list] Re: Gtk manpages?

On Jul 28, 10:35am, Didimo Emilio Grimaldo Tunon wrote:
> Subject: [gtk-list] Re: Gtk manpages?
> > Any plans to write Gtk/Gdk/Glib manpages similar to the manpages written
for
> > Xlib and libc?
> >

>  Convenient but I think HTML does a better job, and if one doesn't want
>  to spawn a full-blown graphical browser there is lynx. The HTML version
>  has the advantage of the links and that it can present the info in
>  a better way. Additionally, writing TROFF pages is a time-consuming
>  task :( [unless one uses a converter but I have better use for my
>  precious disk space] and has very little add on value. IMHO it is better
>  if the effort is concentrated on completing/updating the current docs
>  rather than adding another administrative nightmare :)

I think using the 'pod' format for the documentation would be a really good
idea. This is the format used by embedded documentation in Perl scripts, but it
can of course be used as a standalone file. This is much more easy to use than
Troff, and there are many small converters around (I know of pod2html,
pod2latex, pod2man, pod2text).
This would make it easy to have help in different formats.

I don't have the URL reference right here, but I am sure someone else on the
list can give precise links to pod.

Emmanuel Briot