problem with gtk-config

When I try to compile a test application just to see if my gtk+-1.0.4
installation went smoothly, I get errors about gtk-config and a missing
glibconfig.h.

I type in: gcc -Wall test.c -o test 'gtk-config --cflags' 'gtk-config
--libs'
and gcc spits out:

gtk-config --cflags: No such file or directory
gtk-config --libs: No such file or directory
file included from /usr/include/gdk/gdktypes.h:25,
                    from /usr/include/gdk/gdk.h:23,
                    from /usr/include/gtk/gtk.h:23,
                    from test.c:1:
/usr/include/glib.h:22 glibconfig.h: No such file or directory

I don't think it's a problem with gtk because I just successfully
installed and used the gimp 1.0.

Any ideas why this happens?

Thanks,
Aaron