pixmaps and retreiving data from another process

Hi, I got two quick questions

I can't seem to get pixmaps to work using gdk_pixmap_create_from_xpm_d for my toolbar. I've found that the documentation and header files for gtk_toolbar_append differ, the docs sayins GtkPixmap and the header saying GtkWidget (gtk+ 1.0.4) an dthe gdk documentation is just the names of some of the function w/o anyt hing in it! *strusfration*

My second question; I have to call another program (gcc) and get the output (STDOUT and STDERR) into data for my program. What would be the best way to approach this? is there a better way than to call the program redirecting to a /tmp file, then read that? I also need my program to stay functional while that runs, but know when the program terminates, is there a signal handler?

Thanks
	-Erik