Re: [gtk-list] Re: modal windows ?

Thu Jul 16 10:44:13 +0200 1998 Markus Minihold <Markus.Minihold@telecom.at>
wrote:

> small dialog box. Application modal means, that this dialog will stay on
> top of the application. And it isn't a feature of the WM. Have a look
> into Qt or Motif library. If specifing there an application modal window
> means the described behaviour - the modal dialog will stay on top of the
> application.

I'd think this feature is implemented in those libraries such as when
this window receives a CirculateNotify X event, the relative stacking order
if the windows in this application is tested, and restacked if necessary.
Other possibility would be checking results of VisibilityNotify events
on *all* windows of this application. There might even be easier solutions
for that -- I'm not an X guru (yet ;).

Yes, it is useful to have a dialog window on top of other windows in one
application (and also visible (uniconified and not out-of display)). I have
numerous times been searching (modal) dialog windows below other windows...

But sometimes this kind  dialog window would be hiding important
information below it and someone would explicitly want to lower the
window. Then there should be possibility in window manager to "ForceLower"
the window, or have such a button in the dialog.

  ! Lower this dialog !

Or a checkbutton which allows lowering the window.
   _
  !_! keep this dialog on top of this application

> Markus

Tomi