gtk-- wrappers

Hi Gtk-- guys,

For some code we're writing at work we're interested in having C++
wrappers for some of Gnome and Gdk. Probably not the entire things but the
parts we need anyway. I was playing with it today and had some questions:

- Just to check, has anyone already started this?

- The constructors often need to do what the _new function would do
  but they can't call _new, sometimes resulting in a hideous
  cut-and-paste. I noticed that some Gtk widgets have a _construct
  method for this reason, e.g. CList. Is this considered a good solution,
  i.e. would it be reasonable to add _construct functions to gnome-libs
  when appropriate?

- What happens if a Gtk C object gets destroyed out from under the wrapper
  class? e.g., say I click a GnomeDialog which causes it to be destroyed
  in C. What will the C++ wrapper do in response, if anything? How does
  Gtk-- solve this problem?

- A TODO item is "Gnome widget support to gensig" - what does this involve
  exactly? I can't see what would break on Gnome widgets glancing at
  it quickly, other than some hardcoded references to gtk-- directories.

- Where would this go in CVS so it could use gensig and build nicely?

Thanks for any pointers. Probably I won't be doing this very quickly but I
would like to start on it as I have time and need.

Havoc Pennington ==== http://pobox.com/~hp