Re: YAOCW (Yet Another Objective-C Wrapper)

Elliot Lee wrote:

> I just noticed this...
>
> I don't suppose people would consider improving what they don't like about
> obgtk, instead of constantly reinventing the wheel? This has a lot in
> common with obgtk, and it's a waste of effort, especially when obgtk
> definitely needs improvement and I'm more than willing to take patches
> and/or co-maintainers.

When I asked about obgtk it turned out that there is no interest in
making the stuff FoundationKit-dependend for several reason (eg not
making GNOME dependend on another library). This time this was the main
reason for me to start GTKKit.

I think it's quite valid to have two different kits, one for plain-ObjC
(to be used in GNOME) and one which is more oriented towards GNUstep
(and integrates with their makefiles and classes well).
Just looked at the new objgtk and it is plain-ObjC, I'm not sure what
the improvements against obgtk are.

> Saying "mine's better" doesn't make it so, especially when the library in
> question isn't necessarily so ;-)

I think with wrappers there are only differences in the targetted
programming style. None of the kits should be 'better', they are just
simple wrappers.
Doing the wrappers doesn't involve much problem solving but more
writing the encapsulation code, it's quite easy.

When one want's to use Foundation, one cannot use obgtk/objgtk which are
Object based. Since there are quite a few people doing ObjC programming
with Foundation the question whether a kit is better isn't really valid,
it's currently the only option for them.

> -- Elliot
> Forget IRC clients. Scratch clock applets. Writing Objective C wrappers is
> the new gtk fad of the day!

Well what about an (or two,three) 'IRC-client-kit' in Objective-C ? ;-)

Greetings
  Helge

http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard/computers_contribute_gtk_objective-gtk.html

http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard/computers_contribute_gtk_index.html