Re: [gtk-list] Gtk & Qt

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, SEBASTIEN GAUTHIER wrote:

> This is perhaps a newbie question but is I'd like to know the differences
> between the GTK and the Qt libraries.

	The biggest difference is that GTK+ is C-based, while Qt is
C++-based.  Both are very functional.  Both look nice.  Both are
supposedly well written (I know this of GTK+, but only have hearsay for
Qt).
	The license argument that everyone has is really silly.  GTK+ is
released under the GNU Public License (GPL), todays most common "free"
license.  The non-commercial Qt is release under its own "Qt Free
License". This license says any code you write using Qt must either be GNU
Public Licensed, GNU Library Public Licensed, or a third GPL like
statement (it's shorter).  What makes it different from the GPL is that
you cannot sell it and you CANNOT modify Qt.  A GPL'd library can be
modified, as long as you provide everything that is necessary.
	However, this is a moot point, cause you don't need to modify Qt
to change its functionality.  It's C++.  You just extend the classes :-)
	There are more details, I am sure, but for the home user, using
only open-source software, the license usage of Qt and GTK+ are
effectively identical.  I am using free software, writing free software,
and charging noone.  Therefore I can use both legally.

Joel

--

Life's Little Instruction Book #232

	"Keep your promises."