Focusing (was Re: [gtk-list] Re: vi bindings for text widgets)

Didimo Emilio Grimaldo Tunon <emilio_tunon@nl.compuware.com> writes:

> >  what i really hate on X and various X widgets on linux is the fact that
> >  one can't do almost anything without mouse. and i hate to use mouse,
>
>   That is not Linux specific. I like the mouse, however I hate to have to
>   use it when a (few) keystrokes would do the job faster or more effectively.
>   In GTK the only feature I don't like is to have to click to focus, same
>   goes with MSWin, which doesn't help people with RSI, don't have that but
>   recently I had to begin using the mouse with my left hand because of
>   'forced mouse abuse'.

GTK+ has a pretty standard focus model for X:

 - Focusing to the toplevel window is done according to the window
   manager. (Click-to-focus (ugh ;-) or follow-focus)
 - Focusing within the window is click to focus, _or_ you can
   move the focus around with the Tab key.

I tend to think this much better than having to navigate the mouse
within each entry box and then accidentally bump the mouse a few
pixels and have to move it again.

Regards,
                                        Owen