Re: Libtool and Shared Library Version numbers

Christof Petig <christof.petig@wtal.de> writes:
> In correspondance with Marcus Brinkmann (debian maintainer of gtk--,
> glade, glade--, perhaps more) I said I was shocked to see a shared
> library named 'gtk-1.1.so.0.0.0'. I promised to take a deep look inside
> libtool to find out how to fix this. He answered if I could find out how
> to set sensible version number, I should tell you first.
>
> So here's my proposal on how to do it ...
>
> First an excurse about libtool's idea of version information:
> We start a new library foo with -version-info 0:0:0,

Hmm, where is this -version-info argument given for libtool?
(if I can use variables from configure.in for that arg, then
could start using the method specified in the libtool info page...)

> (current:revision:age)
> then we add a new feature 1:0:1,
> we fix some bugs 1:1:1, and 1:2:1,
> we add another feature 2:0:2,
> we remove some feature 3:0:0,
> bugfixes 3:1:0, 3:2:0,
> additions 4:0:1, 5:0:2,
> total revision 6:0:0

This does work fine... It isnt huge job to update this number when updating
the release number too..

The gtk way of doing library versioning kinda sucks. IMHO. Gtk shared
lib versions should be fixed asap! :)

--
-- Tero Pulkkinen -- terop@modeemi.cs.tut.fi --