Re: [gtk-list] Re: Style Guide - the real issue

Hi all,

   There seems to be an obvious solution to the configurable / standard
style, so I'll try to explain.  The issue is how we communicate with our
computers -- which to me is different than style.  Being able to tell a
computer what you want it to do is something that is always painful for
new users of a particular system -- because you literally need to learn
a new language to be able to "talk" to it.  If there is a standard
interface (both GUI and keyboard UI), then it will make switching
applications, workstations and operating systems much easier.

   However, a good UI is also customizable.  After using windows for 5
years and then coming to the UNIX world, my fingers tingle with
configuration-fever.  It's great!  I can change anything I want... and I
think it needs to stay that way.  But this means that I can't use my
friend's computer without him building a tutorial.  That's frustrating.

   In multi-cultural countries, the only way that unity can be remotely
possible is if there is a common language... so each person has their
own way of doing things, plus a language in common with everyone else.
Ok, so here's the obvious solution:  make GTK support multiple bindings
at the same time, so that it can be "bilingual".

   There are two ways I can see this working:
1.  Make one interface have "precedence" so that conflicting functions
can be resolved.
2.  Make an interface easily switchable, such as in Windoze'
multi-lingual support.  If you enable, for example, a QWERTY keyboard
AND a Dvorak keyboard, you can switch back and forth by either pressing
"ALT-SHIFT" or else by clicking the icon in the status bar and selecting
one of the options.
3.  Both of the above.  ie: Make it so that the interface _that has
precedence_ is switchable, rather than just the interface.

I hope this is a helpful idea,

Duane Johnson
Programmer / Analyst
Betach Systems Inc.