gtk+ text entry and font sizes, help requested

Hi,

I'm rather new to gtk+ but have begun using it quite seriously the past few
days. I have a problem involving text entry widgets that
I haven't been able to resolve, even though it seems somewhat
simple. I'm trying to reduce the onscreen length of a text
entry widget. For example I might set the max. allowable
characters to 4, but the actual length of the widget onscreen
is always much longer, and aside from setting the usize I
don't know how to make it shorter. Is there a way to make it
shorter without having to set the usize, so that it will look
right no matter what font is in use? If not, is it somehow
possible to get information on the font that is currently
being used (specifically in my case, the maximum height and
width of the largest character)? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

michael craig