Re: [gtk-list] Gtk--: adding scrollbars to text widget

tfishwick@coastnet.com writes:

	   I'm having one heck of a time adding a vertical scrollbar to a Gtk_Text
   object.  I've figured out that Gtk_Text has a 'vadj' and 'hadj' of type
   Gtk_Adjustment.  And so I need to give Gtk_VScrollBar the 'vadj' to get
   it to work.  But I couldn't figure out how to do that :-(.  I've tried
   useing gtkobj() to get it, and some other stuff, but....nope.

I came across this problem two days ago.  Near as I can tell, if you
try to create a Text object and then extract its vadj component, you
will end up with an unwrapped adjustment, instead of one that's
wrapped up in a class.  So, you have to explicitly create the
adjustment, and use it in creating both the text area and the
scrollbar.  The code I wound up with was:

	textBox = new Gtk_HBox();
	windowFrame->add(textBox);

	vadj = new Gtk_Adjustment(0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0);

	textArea = new Gtk_Text(NULL, vadj);
	textArea->set_usize(600, 350);
	textBox->add(textArea);

	textScroll = new Gtk_VScrollbar(vadj);
	textBox->add(textScroll);

--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002