RE: [gtk-list] Re: Automatic generation of gtk+ interface

> >   In XForms the GUI builder (comes with the distribution) allows you
> >   to create your presentation part, but it's a one way only thing. If
> >   you decide to add a new widget *after* you have added your own
> >   code then you can't go back to the GUI builder.
> >
> >   VisualTcl on the other hand, allows you to define and write your own
> >   code within the GUI builder and that's very neat.
>
> This is definately I would *LOVE* to see in Glade, hopefully soon. I've
> put together a few tiny apps for my own use, and occationally (=often) I
> would like to go back to the builder and change layout etc., but that
> would completely break my code.
>
> On a few occations I actually made "patches" (with diff) to insert my
> code, but that wasn't very fun in the long run. ;-)
>
> I browsed through the Glade sources, and AFAICT it shouldn't be to hard to
> add. Or what, Damon? I'd be happy to contribute to this project if
> needed/wanted, but I have no idea of what's being worked on already..
>
> Vidar

Glade will hopefully support updating the interface after writing the
source code. All it will do is overwrite the file which contains code
to create the windows etc., and append prototypes of new signal handlers
to the other file. So any code that the user writes is left untouched.

In the long term I'd like to see an integrated code editor with
syntax-highlighting which supports all languages with GTK bindings.
(If you want to work on this, go ahead. Does anyone know of any
OpenSource code editors whose code could be pinched for this?)
Though I also realize that many people will still prefer to use
their own separate editor.

Damon