Re: [gtk-list] vi bindings for text widgets

matt wrote:

> what is the possiblity of someone hacking in
> vi bindings into the text and text entry widgets?
>
> i have a few ideas about how it should work.
>
> anyone think this would be a good idea?
>
> any pointers?
>
> --mat

I'd think that most people looking for an easy text editing window wouldn't
want to be bothered with learning vi command stuff... My take on who gtk+ is
aimed for 2 groups, ppl who know their $h|t and just want an easier interface,
and ppl who are new to linux who don't know, but want something brainlessly
easy like windows and macos. The ppl who know their stuff in my experience
have no problem using text editors... I have all sorts of X editors, but still
prefer text based ones (joe and vi) and will use them. I don't think adding
binding to the X editor will make me want to use it. However, joe blow who
just installed linux and wearing their newbie tshirt will probly have problems
with all these different bindings, because they're used to the m$ way... I
d'no if there's inheritance on the text widget, but even if there isn't, you
could copy the gtktext.h file to like gtkvitext.h and include it in your
source? this way you could include vi style handling with your app, but not
changing the widget set to something most ppl probly won't use and most end
users won't appreciate? just my take :)
    -Erik <br0ke@shells.clipboard.com>
        http://shells.clipboard.com/~br0ke