Grrr. aclocal; automake; autoconf

So I tried to go bleeding-edge and start building the Gimp and Gtk
From the CVS tree, but can't seem to navigate the maze of twisty
little automagic files, all alike.  I believe that I have the
recommended versions of automake, autoconf, and libtool, but it still
doesn't work.  Is there some secret trick I'm missing?

-Dan Risacher

gtk+# aclocal; automake; autoconf
aclocal: configure.in: 29: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
configure.in:204: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
configure.in:222: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
gtk+# cd glib/
glib# aclocal; automake; autoconf
aclocal: configure.in: 11: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
configure.in:57: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
configure.in:58: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
configure.in:59: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
configure.in:60: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
configure.in:61: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
glib# cd ..
gtk+# ./configure
creating cache ./config.cache
./configure: line 574: syntax error near unexpected token `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,'
./configure: line 574: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE, $VERSION, no-define)'
gtk+# aclocal --version
aclocal (GNU automake) 1.2d

Copyright (C) 1996, 1997 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Written by Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com>
gtk+# automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.2d

Copyright (C) 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Written by Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com>
gtk+# autoconf --version
Autoconf version 2.12
gtk+# libtool --version