Re: [gtk-list] App container widget

George Zervas <gz4@doc.ic.ac.uk> writes:

> Hi all,
>
>  I am currently working on  application container widget as part of a
> project

Cool.  I'm working on the same thing.  I haven't gotten anywhere yet
though.

The gnome mailing lists are probably the best place to discuss this.
See www.gnome.org.  I'd suggest using gnome-components-list@gnome.org.

I did write up a bit of a proposal:

  http://gnome.jimpick.com/

I'm also planning to use Owen Taylor's plugsocket code:

  http://www.msc.cornell.edu/~otaylor/gtk-gimp/plugsocket-0.l.tar.gz

This gives me the ability to visually embed any X app.

If I embed an object that's smart about being embedded, I want to use
CORBA to do some communication and enable the containing object to
use an (add-hook ...) call to modify the behaviour of the contained
applications.

I want to do a variety of different app containers for different
purposes.  Emacs-style, window-border "drawers" (like the Gnome
panel), "active desktop"-style, even a conventional overlapping
windows style with scripting options.  I want to make the containers
good citizens of the Gnome environment, with session management,
drag-and-drop buffers, etc.

Anyways - I've got zillions of ideas.  I just need the time to learn
stuff and implement it.  Theoretically, it ought to be quite simple.

I wouldn't recommend holding your breath waiting for me though.  I'm
known to be very slow.  :-)

Cheers,

 - Jim

PGP signature