App container widget

Hi all,

 I am currently working on  application container widget as part of a
project and would like some help as I haven't got much experience with
gtk yet... The application container widget  would be a widget which
would provide all the facilities a toplevel window can provide except
that it won't have its own X window. It will be something like the
widget used with OLE to insert objects into applications. My main
problem would be which widget should be the parent of my widget. The
main purpose of the widget would be to display inside it the main widnow
of an application(not the menus,toolbars,etc...). For example supposing
the gimp supported this widget you should have the ability to insert the
drawing widow inside the app container instead on letting it have its
own X window. Should I just start with gtkwidget...? Up to now my best
guess is to modify gtkviewport. Does the viewport widget supply all the
functionality of gtkwindow? Any help will be appreciated... The long
term purpose of the project is to implement a compound document shell
for linux supporting in place editing. As this is an idea of my own,
which btw is my final year project at college, that I haven't shared I
would really like to listen to your comments. Would this be a useful
project for the linux community? Could it relate to the gnome project in
any way being a useful part of it? I would really like apart from doing
a good project to produce something useful... (Sorry if the last part is
irrelevant to the list but who else could I ask?:)

--re, Giorgos.

http://www-students.doc.ic.ac.uk/~gz4/