Pixmap Scaling

Hi!

I want to scale small (up to 32x32) images and then draw 'em into a
drawing area.... Are there already functions for this in gdk? Or is
there an other library for such things?

I need the scalling for a Game with a 3D starchart... and open-gl seems
to be a bit of an overkill... and what's more important... I don't understand
it...
As the Game is a turn based play-by-email game the scalling needn't be
necessarily in realtime...

Another question: Is there another widget than the drawing area for such
things, as it's quite complicated to draw transparent pixmaps :-(

cu...
      Roni alias _crash