Re: [FAQ] "undefined reference to `gdk_pixmap_unref'"

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Edward C. Jones wrote:

> I run RedHat Linux 5.0 on a PC. I successfuly installed
> gtk+-0.99.2. When I attempted to install gimp-0.99.17 from the
> source tarball, I got the error message: undefined reference to
> `gdk_pixmap_unref'. What is the problem?

This needs to be added to the FAQ.  Since we now have
the FAQ in CVS I hope someone will make a patch and upload
it.  (I don't have time to check for spelling, etc.)
I suggest we help the FAQ people out and put [FAQ] in
the subject when we give an *answer* to a common problem.

Since you installed GTK+ when you installed your Red Hat
system, you need to uninstall it so that the new GTK+
will be found.

Usually when included in a distribution, GTK+ is found
in /usr.  When you install from a .tar.gz file, it
automatically installs in /usr/local.  While you can
override this with --prefix I would recommend you do
install in /usr/local because it is easier for you to
determine what came with the distribution and things you
have compiled and added.

To uninstall the old version of GTK+, you need to figure
out what the patches are installed.  To see what GTK+ packages
are installed on your system, use the following command:

rpm -qa | grep gtk

After you know this information, you can remove them by
doing:

rpm --erase --nodeps <package>

If you had installed the 0.99.1 rpm then, you would remove
it by doing:

rpm --erase --nodeps gtk-devel-0.99.1

or something similar.  (That package name is only an example.)

Now you are ready to install the new version of GTK+.  If
you installed it before you did the first step, that should
be fine as well since it is stored in a different location
than the rpm you just removed.

The next step is to verify that /usr/local/lib is in
/etc/ld.so.conf.  If it is not add it.

Now run the command 'ldconfig'.

Hope this helps you.

--
Shawn T. Amundson		Complete Internet Solutions
Senior Systems Administrator	Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

while (i) { last }
    i, do exist.
    forever;