how to swap pixmaps in a button?

I've been trying to get a button to swap pixmaps when its been activated.
I have two pixmaps and do something like the following:

   gtk_container_remove(
      GTK_CONTAINER(pn->pn_alarmwidget), pn->pn_alarm_pixmapid);
   gtk_container_add(
      GTK_CONTAINER(pn->pn_alarmwidget), pn->pn_alarmoff_pixmapid);

I remove the old one then add the new one.  But this doesn't seem to have
any effect.  Does anyone know what the steps are for swapping pixmaps in a
button (or any widget)?  Do I need to be doing this from the gdk level
instead?
--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           | I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every