Re: Free QT?

Joel Dillon <emily@cornholio.new.ox.ac.uk> writes:
>   Seen it - it has some interesting ideas that could be used to make
> free QT more efficient. But I think a free QT would  be better for porting
> KDE apps and making KDE itself more acceptable to the rest of us; there
> are 500,000 lines of KDE code and it'd be a darn shame if it didn't get
> on the really big Linux distributions (preferably alongside/integrated
> with Gnome) because of the license problems.

Hmm, maybe we should start qttogtk porting library project.

I've thought about it alittle. That kind of project is also good for
making gtk-- better. (of course gtk-- and "freeqt" need to be separate)

A library that helps people port qt apps to gtk(--) needs the following parts:
* signal-slot system (exists already in gtk--)
* moc -replacement to convert Qt's signal-slot format to gtk--'s syntax for
  same thing (I expect this to be very easy to do - I volunteer for doing this)
* wrapper that implements interface specified in Qt's documentation and
  which uses gtk--'s widgets/signal system to implement the functionality.
  (I expect this to be very thin wrapper, as gtk-- already implements very
  similar interface - much like what gtk-- is currently compared to gtk).

Since there seems to be interest in creating one, I'll make a web page
for it soon to organize things aliitle. watch for url
www.iki.fi/terop/freeqt/index.html (Is there somewhere else such
projects already? url?) Mail me any suggestions and I'll
put them to the web page.

So, need volunteers for the following things:
* setting up mailing list (we need this quickly, I expect freeqt mails in
  gnome/gtk-list/kde lists be annoyance to people who read those lists
  => do not followup to this message, instead mail me about your opinion until
  we get someone set up mailing list)
* start implementing classes starting from the base classes (learn to use
  gtk--'s signal system before doing this - I'll help if you get problems
  with this)

Ok, now its only about if people want free qt enough to actually do it.

--
-- Tero Pulkkinen -- terop@modeemi.cs.tut.fi --