KEY_RELEASE problem

Hi !

I'd like to do the following : when e.g. "Page Down" is pressed
I want to start a timer doing some stuff, and when the user releases
the key, the timer has to be stopped. So I set GDK_KEY_PRESS_MASK |
GDK_KEY_RELEASE_MASK. This works fine with keys like SHIFT or CTRL
(one press event, one release event), but auto-repeated keys seem to
generate pairs of press/release events while pressed... !?

Is there a way to find out when the key is actually released ?

Ciao,
   Stefan