Re: [gtk-list] _GdkFont patch for two-byte font.

Shyhming Feng <sfeng@ms14.hinet.net> writes:

> Hi...
>
> We suggest the following patch for Far Eastern two-byte font.

Hi,

Could you explain why you want this a bit more?

It seems to me that to use multbyte fonts in GTK, you will
have to know the font's encoding, if you are loading the
font directly. In that case, you already know the fonts
width.

On the other hand, if you are using fontsets (for instance,
if you are using the XIM features of GDK), GDK uses
multibyte (variable width) strings. It does not make
sense to ask for the number of bytes of a fontset,
since it can include both 8 and 16 bit fonts.

Future versions of GTK will have more complete support
for i18n, and will probably use wide characters internally.

> The original one is...
>
> struct _GdkFont
> {
>     GdkFontType type;
>     gint ascent;
>     gint descent;
> }
>
> Our new suggestion is...
>
> struct _GdkFont
> {
>     GdkFontType type;
>     gint ascent;
>     gint descent;
>     gboolean two_byte_font;
>     gint font_width;

Why both? What does font_width represent?

> }

Regards,
                                        Owen