widget and colours questions

I've started using gtk in the last week to do a bit of application
development, and have the following questions:

1. How do I change the colours of the list and entry widgets? The
tutorial says it 'has it's own background color' but I'm not sure
what it is implying by this.

2. How do colours work? Say for example, I wanted to place
red on white text into a text widget, how would I go about setting up
the colours?

3. I haven't really looked for this one, but as I'm here, how to I
make menu a option unselectable?

4. How do I get the FileSelection widget to display '.'
files/directories?

Thanks

Tony
--
E-Mail: Tony Gale <gale@minotaur.dra.hmg.gb>
You will be singled out for promotion in your work.

The views expressed above are entirely those of the writer
and do not represent the views, policy or understanding of
any other person or official body.