Re: [gtk-list] Re: Gtk-- issue

atai@ece.ucsd.edu (Andy Tai) writes:

> I don't think egcs support namespaces yet, other than recognizing the
> keywords.

Not sure of that. I don't have the fact sheets handy, but you'd better
check on http://www.cygnus.com/egcs/.

> We should not depend on egcs for anything...  gcc 2.8.0 is a better target
> goal.

For one thing, gcc 2.8.0 is nowhere in sight. egcs 1.0.1 *is* gcc
2.8.0, as far as I'm concerned. The current version of g++ is broken
in quite a few crucial points, and lacks very important
features. Trying to support it anyway would really plague gtk--. It
already does in some ways.

> > I may be a bit premature here, but I've been using egcs 1.0 for the past
> > few weeks and haven't encountered any problems with it - C or C++.

Same here. Works beautifully. My 2.0.33 kernel is even compiled with
it. The only grief I could have is that it gave internal errors on
rather subtle code mistakes, instead of more descriptive error
reports.

I'm crossing my fingers so that egcs becomes the de-facto compiler in
all Linux distribs.

--
					Guillaume.
					http://www.worldnet.fr/~glaurent