Re: [gtk-list] newbie question on gdk

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Michael Beach wrote:

> Hi. As a bit of a newbie to gtk, I decided to first try just playing
> around with a few gdk functions to see how they worked. I have a simple
> program (included below) which I thought should put a window on the
> screen, wait 3 seconds then exit.
>
> What it actually does is wait around for about 3 seconds, flash up a
> window briefly, then exit immediately. Have I done something wrong, or
> have I done things right, and this behaviour is expected but for a
> reason that I am not aware of.

I think you want to start your academic experience with gtk, not gdk ;-)
gdk is useful in specific circumstances, but it's not something that most
people use when writing applications...

-- Elliot					http://www.redhat.com/
"The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way
to factor large prime numbers." -- Bill Gates from "The Road Ahead," p. 265.