Re: [gtk-list] Re: an additional argument flag

On 22 Feb 1998, Tero Pulkkinen wrote:

> Deriving from widgets is the only thing we need to do with gtk--. No
> black magic involved. Deriving from widgets currently requires that
> we rewrite all *_new() methods. On some widgets this cut/paste is kinda
> large as there is static methods called from *_new() methods :)

Have you found some way of deal with class signals (or whatever you want
to call the signal slots that are held in the class object) in a
reasonable manner? Then again, C++ isn't an interpreter, so you won't have
many of the difficulties I ran into with Perl.

> Note that this cut/paste is still present in C++ too as everyone need
> to cut/paste all constructors when they derive from a class. The
> problem is solved in C++ usually by making a new method and making the
> constructor call it. => thus cut/paste goes to minimum.

Don't forget, in C++ your constructor can call the ancestors constructor.
That doesn't work under gtk+, currently. Which we may want to take as a
hint.:-)