Re: [gtk-list] Re: pixmap loading slowness

On Sat, 7 Feb 1998 raster@redhat.com wrote:

> On  7 Feb, ALT2376@ritvax.isc.rit.edu shouted:
> ->  Hello,
> ->  	has anyone noticed that gdk_create_pixmap_from_xpm_d() is very slow?.
> ->  Its like 10 times slower than gdk_create_pixmap_from_xpm(). Gimp doesnt even
> ->  use this routine to embed pixmap. Does anyone else have an alternative
> ->  way(shorter) other than what gimp does?.
>
> use imlib - I am about to release imlib 1.0. I am working on
> documentation right now. I loads pixmaps fast xpm's, gif's, png's,
> ppm's jpeg's, pgm's etc. :) It also has the added bonus of doing a LOT
> of other things. :)
What is imlib and where can I found it?

I want to do the following:

  1) Reading some TIFF-Files (I want to do it myself using tifflib.
  2) Do some modifications with the Images in memory ending in
     a buffer (char *) of 8-bit-gray values.
  3) I want to write this buffer as fast as possible into a window
     (rectangle of width*height=sizeof(buffer)) of the screen.
  4) I have tried this by using gdk_create_pixmap_from_data() but
     failed.  It seems that I havn't understand the tutorial completely
     but I didn't understand the philosophy and ended in a core dump
     anyway.
  5) As the discussion above shows, the gdk_create_pixmap_...() functions
     aren't optimized for speed and so I'm now looking for an appropriate
     way to solve my problem.

Thanks in advance

           Andreas.