Re: Problems installing gtk

"David Jones" <t47704@sulu.dehavilland.ca> writes:

> Hi
>
> Can somebody tell me if I need the RedHat Linux distribution installed on my
> suystem before I can install gtk.

You don't need RedHat, or even Linux.

> I've got a slackware system with 2.0.29 kernel, libc.so.5.4.38 and gcc version
> 2.7.2, and I'm having problems installing gtk+-0.99.[123]. I get an undefined
> reference to iswctype in libgtk.so when linking testgtk.

This seems to be a bug in the headers of libc 5.4.38 (I'm not sure if it
is specific to that version, or if it was common to the last several
releases of libc5 - but several people have reported it).

As a workaround, edit the file gdk/gdki18n.h, and change the line

#if (defined(HAVE_WCTYPE_H) || defined(HAVE_WCHAR_H)) && !defined(X_LOCALE)

#if 0

And to a 'make clean ; make'

Could you mail me the contents of your /usr/include/wctype.h and
/usr/include/wchar.h (if they exist) so I can figure out the
right way to make a configure check for this?

Regards,
                                        Owen