Re: [gtk-list] GNOME OO Question

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Sean Willson wrote:
> development in Objective-C.  I am curious as to why GNOME was not
> written in an OO language? Is anyone working on a OO-GTK or such kit to
> wrap the GTK+ in C++, Obj-C, or something of the like?

There are three C++ wrappers and one Obj-C wrapper available. See
www.gtk.org under language bindings.

Gtk+ has its own custom object system which has a lot of features C++
doesn't have (it is more run-time oriented than C++; you can query it at
runtime, replace methods at runtime, etc.). This is nice for GUI builders
and interpreted language wrappers. The code is all OO, it is just not
written in a language which provides syntactic sugar for that - the OO
stuff is done manually. C is used for portability, among other things.
ObjC is only usable with gcc, and C++ is not portable if you use any
interesting features.

You can find several threads on this in the archives if you want more
detail, etc.

Havoc