libintl and (d)gettext

Heya everyone,

I see in the changes log for v1.1.8 that gettext support
has been added.  Now, I notice that the GNU gettext package
on in
  ftp://ftp.gnu.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/
is older (1995).  I was not able to get gtk+ 1.1.9 to
compile against the libintl.a produced by this gettext-0.10 .
The symbol dgettext wasn't getting resolved for libgtk.so .
But a little netsurfin' lead to hints that this problem
might be cleared up in gettext-0.10.35, or whichever is
currently available on
  ftp://alpha.gnu.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/

And lo.. with this later (1998) GNU gettext gtk+ 1.1.9
compiled (read: no problems in the "po" subdirectory).

Oh, my libc.so.5.3.12 has nothing like gettext in it.

Cheers,
Dave
pps. The GTK+ FAQ page describes the requirements for
    building GTK+ as
    "To compile GTK+, all you need is a C compiler (gcc) and
     the X Window System and associated libraries on your
     system."
    Please don't consider it rude if I suggest that more
    details on the "asscociated libraries" could be helpful.
    Eg, utilities like perl5.00?, etc.