Re: [gtk-list] Re: proposal: contributed widget standards

On Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 12:20:55PM +0100, Roland Bock wrote:
> "Shawn T . Amundson" wrote:
> > GTK+ Contributed Widget Standards
> > ---------------------------------
> >     The Makefile must be portable.  It should have a Makefile like are
> >     included in the GTK+ as examples/*/Makefile.  No hard coded paths
> >     can be used in the Makefile.  No additional CFLAGS which may be
> >     compiler specific should be used.  Autoconf can be used.
>
> As I stated before:
> I think it would be most useful to have a standard configure.in and
> Makefile.am so that there is no need for anyone to spend his time
> writing a nice Makefile that behaves in a reasonable way.
> Sadly enough I am not too good at writing those scripts or I would have
> proposed such a standard myself.

We can have these files easy enough, and directions for how to use
them, but sometimes it doesn't make sense to be so complex.  For example,
if your app uses gtklcd, it isn't likely you want to create a libgtklcd,
so what would 'make install' do?

Besides this, even if you have a nice template, if you need to tweak
the autoconf/automake stuff, it requires a lot of time and understanding.
Much more so than a standard Makefile.  So forcing this onto widget
writers is not something we want to do.

> >     The distribution must contain AUTHORS, README, and COPYING
>
> There should be a convention concerning the subdirectories, too. I think
> we should have a src and a doc directory.

I do not think this is necessary.  We don't have a src directory for
GLib or GTK+.  GtkGLArea has a directory 'gtkgl' instead of 'src', and
this seems to make perfect sense to me.

> An example widget that conforms with the new standard should be located
> somewhere  in the gtk+ distribution and a note about that should be
> placed in the tutorial and/or readme.

Agreed.