Re: [gtk-list] proposal: contributed widget standards

"Shawn T . Amundson" wrote:
> GTK+ Contributed Widget Standards
> ---------------------------------
>     The Makefile must be portable.  It should have a Makefile like are
>     included in the GTK+ as examples/*/Makefile.  No hard coded paths
>     can be used in the Makefile.  No additional CFLAGS which may be
>     compiler specific should be used.  Autoconf can be used.

As I stated before:
I think it would be most useful to have a standard configure.in and
Makefile.am so that there is no need for anyone to spend his time
writing a nice Makefile that behaves in a reasonable way.
Sadly enough I am not too good at writing those scripts or I would have
proposed such a standard myself.

>     The distribution must contain AUTHORS, README, and COPYING

There should be a convention concerning the subdirectories, too. I think
we should have a src and a doc directory.

An example widget that conforms with the new standard should be located
somewhere  in the gtk+ distribution and a note about that should be
placed in the tutorial and/or readme.

----

I hope we will get to a standard soon. We are in need of it!

Greetings,
Roland Bock