Re: [gtk-list] widgets, widgets, and more widgets

Hi!

Brandon Long wrote:
> Thoughts roaming around my head.
These are the thoughts of many users of gtk, I bet.

> occured to me again that it would be very useful, as there are more and
> more third party widgets available, to make using these widgets easier
> for other developers.

This would be great help!

> What we need is some way to have a "widget component library", possibly

I don't think that this is possible, as it would be very difficult to
combine all the different widgets at all their different states of
development. A searchable and browsable index of widgets would be
sufficient, I guess.
More important would be a kind of GTK-Contribution-Codex. Something that
tells every contributor in which way to organize the new widget:

a) name conventions for functions, widget and state of development
b) directory structure for source code
c) a configure script, that is used by every contributor
d) a Makefile.am, dito
e) an example program like testgtk that shows examples for coding and
usage.

If we could all agree to such a convention, the usage of 3rd party
wigdets would be much easier. This way new widgets would be tested by
more people and would reach release quality (and with that: possible
inclusione in GTK) much faster.

Greetings,
Roland Bock