gtk_entry changes in 1.1.7 ...

Hi,

I see there have been some fairly major changes in the internals of
the entry widget since 1.1.6 . Unfortunately, this has rather borked
some of the hackery I was previously doing with it, and I'm somewhat
at a loss as to how to fix it. Perhaps someone can shed some light.

The program in question is an EDICT (Japanese->English electronic
dictionary) client, and one of the things I am trying to get it to do
is to self-process input into Kana so that it's useful for those
without Wnn/Canna and a Japanese locale. Up to 1.1.6, I could do this
by simply setting a jis font in the entry's style, and managing the
contents of the editable myself (filtering keypresses through a small
state machine to turn them into Kana). Naive and hackish perhaps, but
it did the job. Now, however, I can't seem to get any double-byte
characters whatsoever to display in the entry no matter what I try.
This is almost certainly due to my total non- understanding of the
changed code, but...

A snapshot that worked against CVS gtk at about the time of 1.1.5/6
is here:

  http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~u6mjf/gnomejdic-981208.tar.gz

It's built against Gnome, but doesn't yet use anything significantly
Gnome-specific. Probably 2 seconds work to make it gtk-only as it
stands.

Cheers,
-Matt.

"The results of this intrusion into your life will be used 'responsibly'
in ways you cannot even begin to imagine. Of course, the innocent have
nothing to fear from the rapidly expanding data industry."
 - Radiohead, Airbag/How Am I Driving?